On his site, he recently wrote:
From time to time we all need a jump start. Creativity is a commodity. When we don’t do what is necessary to refill the tank, the tank goes empty. We all need a little encouragement from time to time in order to create our best stuff. When we start to feel dull, here are some ways to spark our creativity:
- Pray. Sounds obvious, but when we access the Creator of the universe there is inspiration that can be uncovered.
- Collaborate. Teams, energy, additional thoughts, all help to create momentum and push us towards better creative concepts. Working with other people, and changing who we work with from time to time will not only create better art, it will force us to stay sharp.
- Change Our Canvas. Go in a different room, a different office, get in the car, go to a park, visit a coffee shop…do something to create a new canvas. New canvases require new art.
- Change The Soundtrack. A different soundtrack will create a different mood and tone for our work. Don’t underestimate the importance of the soundtrack for your life.
- Study art we like. It helps and its fun. From online galleries, to books, magazines, or museums, keeping ourselves engaged in art matters. Also, art is anything created that inspires us (movies, music, statues, pictures, environments,etc)
- Change the question. Stop trying to go about finding results the same way we always have in the past. But keep asking questions.
- Start Subtracting. Start taking away from our creation, not adding. Adding is the go to, but subtracting creates more intentionality to the remaining pieces.
- Read. Read something different, something you like, a magazine, anything that will challenge your thought process. Reading opens our minds.
- Visit your bucket. We should all have a bucket of ideas we are always filling and adding to…when we are stuck, visit our bucket and look at some of the stuff we have collected to use later. These could be ideas, images, quotes, books, colors, sounds…but no matter what they are, their importance is bigger.
What are some of your best practices for sparking creative thought? What do you do when you feel you are getting dull?
Thanks, Stephen. For me the prayer and visiting my bucket are the ones I go to most. Music and changing the setting are second. Which ones have you done? Which are new ideas for you?
Do you have other ideas? Share them below.
Go and create.